Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Skip Rope


Doors, ladders, steps, thresholds

I’m climbing crooked steps in these dreams
Or a ladder
Crawling up and clinging to the railing
There’s an opening, a space at the top
Where I have to reach and pull myself up
One leg hooked over a newel post
Like a little girl on the playground trapeze

I do go there, clinging in that space
So not to fall in the air

Doors, ladders, steps, threshold
The structure of openings in dreams and life

Jennifer asks me, what is the threshold?
It’s a line, a division
A stepping through place
A climb into the skyA point of entry and exit 
Depending on which direction I’m headed.
Between my house on solid ground
And crossing over 
To the liquid unknown

And I’ve been there 
And I know I can’t force it
Just step into the water
and trust
So I do a dance on the threshold
Like skipping rope
Watching for the opening
And the courage
To let go

No comments:

Post a Comment